Deut.8v18: And you shall remember the Lord your God, for it is He who gives you power to get wealth, that He may establish His covenant which He swore to your fathers, as it is this day.
You are welcome back to our discussion on the subject of economic empowerment and I trust that you have been blessed by this series of principles I have shared with you on how to become financially free. I am excited that these truths are coming your way because it has the power to change your life when you apply it by faith. So what have you been doing about the treasures that God has put at your disposal? I pray that you will find the courage to do something positive about these truths because it is in doing that change or transformation can happen. So today, by the special grace of God, I will be considering the eleventh principle that you need to engage if you really want to experience the blessings of financial freedom.
HOW TO PROSPER ECONOMICALLY
9. Get financial intelligence or education. This is one very important thing you need to do for yourself if you are going to become economically empowered. What is financial intelligence all about? Financial intelligence is the knowledge and skills gained from understanding finance and accounting principles in the business world. In other words, in a layman’s language, financial education has to do with understanding your income expenditure, your balance sheet, cash flow statement, and so on. Another way of saying this is for you to understand how money works, what money is, and how to make, manage and multiply money. It’s not just enough to know how to make money, but you also need to know how to make money to work for yourself. I can tell you from experience that not everybody possesses sound financial intelligence or education; that is why you need to get this wisdom. Proverbs 4, verse 5,7 speaks about the importance of gaining and getting wisdom. If you are going to break free financially and be independent financially, you must be able to differentiate between a liability and an asset. You need to know how money works; this is a very important principle that you need to master.
Sadly, most schools do not teach anything about making money, managing it, and even multiplying it. Most people do not have financial intelligence or education about money; this is why you need to begin your self-education in the area of finances. How do you become a doctor or an engineer? You become one by training. So you need to start your own self-education about money. What you don’t know cannot hurt or harm you, so it is important to get the right kind of education. If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. In fact, according to UNESCO, it has been discovered that there is a correlation between illiteracy and poverty, lower life expectancy, and political oppression. This is why getting wisdom is very important (Jn.8v32). So you need to begin your own education in the area of finances; nobody is going to help you do this until you take personal responsibility. So begin to take responsibility from today. Be interested in knowing how money works so that you can gain mastery over your finances.
The interesting thing about self-education or self-directed learning is that there is no limit to how far you can go. Most of the successful and great people today in the world have gone along this route to achieve greatness for themselves. For instance, Warren Buffett, the Oracle of Omaha, is a man who has mastered the art of investing by simply devoting his time and energy to understanding how to invest in stocks. He discovered and educated himself along this line until he became a master at it. Today, he is one of the wealthiest people in the world. So it’s time for you to take possession of your financial heritage by understanding financial intelligence. So how can you gain or get financial intelligence? What are the things that can help you to develop financial intelligence? You will need to pay attention to the following things:
- Attend training or seminars on finances. This is how you can begin to get your hands or grip on how finances operate. Learn and get wisdom along this line so that you can be better off at the end of the day (Pro.17v16).
- Read books on finances and economic empowerment. There are many good books along this line that can help you gain financial intelligence and independence. One book that has blessed me particularly is the series of books written by a man known as Robert Kiyosaki, “Rich Dad, Poor Dad”. These and several other books are there to help you to gain financial intelligence. So go after them from today (Pro.18v2).
- Listen to CDs or DVDs on finances. There are many educational and instructional materials in the form of CDs or DVDs online that you can gain access to that will help you develop or gain financial intelligence. You need to be someone who goes after knowledge like this if you’re going to be financially free.
- Put whatever you learn into practice. It is not enough to just be someone who listens or hears; you need to be a doer. It is in the doing that you will get blessed. It is in the doing that you will discover how things are done and how to get results (Rom.2v13). When you commit yourself to be a lifelong student of finances and you begin to implement these principles, you will begin to see a change in your life and gain financial independence and freedom. I pray for you today that your life will never remain the same again as you go after this kind of knowledge. It is time to become financially astute and time to understand how money works. This is how you will succeed in changing your financial story and life forever. May today mark the beginning of such a kind of experience for you. Devote your time and energy to gaining wisdom along these lines so that you can stand out financially.
I pray that today will mark the beginning of your change of story, encounter and in your finances because as you begin to gain wisdom and knowledge as to how money operates, your story too will change on the outside. This will be your testimony in the name of Jesus Christ.
Other Scriptural References: (Prov.8v15: 3v13: 16v16: 22v6; Eccle.7v11 :10v10).
Prayer for Today: Heavenly Father, I choose to go after financial intelligence. May my life never remain the same in the name of Jesus.
CONFESSION: I have the power to get wealth. I have the means and skills to make money. God has equipped me to be financially free. Therefore, as I gain financial intelligence and wisdom, money answers to me—money answers to my needs and my dreams. Money is working together for my good. I have financial dominion because I understand how money works. As I take advantage of the financial opportunities around me, money is working perfectly well for me. I am not a slave of money rather, money works for me, and I rebel against poverty and lack and I reject any form of financial hardship and difficulty. I break forth into my financial freedom and fortunes. It’s my season of lifting and promotion and my fortunes are changing for the better. Glory be to God; I am financially empowered to make a difference in my world. Glory be to Jesus; my season of financial turnaround is here. I enter into my wealthy place and my days of living from hand to mouth are over forever in Jesus name.
Yemi Adeoti is a pastor, teacher, life coach and mentor & also a prolific writer.