Pro. 14 v 1: “The wise woman builds her house, but the foolish pulls it down with her hands.”
You are welcome back to this series of lessons on “Building Stronger Marriages.” I am sure you desire a great marriage but you have to be willing to play your part in getting there. As we can see from (Pro.14v1), what you do or refuse to do will have an impact on the kind of family you will have. Today, our focus will be on the fifth material that will help you in building a successful marriage.
Materials for building stronger marriages:
5. Willingness to work on your marriage. This is one of the essential materials you need to build a stronger marriage. There are no perfect marriages! We only have working marriages! Are you ready to work on your marriage? If you will be frank with yourself, you know the areas you are strong in your marriage and the areas you are not.
So, it’s important for both of you (i.e. husband and wife) to be united in your resolution to work on your marriage, otherwise, the efforts will not yield any meaningful results. As a couple, your desire should be to be stronger in the areas you are strong in your marriage now, and to be strong in the areas you are weak in your marriage. It’s this kind of united effort that yields positive results. I pray that this will be your testimony in Jesus name, amen.
What do you need to do in order to work successfully on your marriage? You need:
- The cooperation of each other. You can’t achieve much without unity (Amos 3v3).
- The help of the Holy Spirit (Pro.21v30).
- To be deliberate and intentional (Dan.1v8).
- To take things one step at a time (Isa.28v13)
- To persevere even if you don’t see immediate results (Lk.21v19)
- To stop comparing your marriage with other people’s marriage (2Cor.10v12).
- To face your marriage squarely and stop being envious of other people’s marriage (Lk.9v62).
My dear reader, these are just some of the changes you need to make if you want to have a stronger marriage. So, it’s time to go to work, for time waits for no man. You can become the star of the moment if you make the minutes count. As you take up the challenge to work on your marriage, it will work better in Jesus name, amen.
Other Scriptural References: (Pro. 24 v 3-5, 27; Phil. 2 v 12; Eccl. 10 v 18; Pro. 6 v 6-9).
Prayer for Today: Heavenly Father, I commit myself to work on my marriage from today. Holy Spirit, help me to faithfully work on my marriage in Jesus name, amen.
CONFESSION: I choose to work on my marriage. No more excuses or passing the buck. I take responsibility for my marriage. I take responsibility for my actions and behaviours. I decide to turn a new leaf. I desire a change for the better. Therefore, I am open to correction and change. As I embrace the truths of God’s word for my marriage, things are changing for the better in my relationship with my spouse in Jesus name, amen.