DARE TO DREAM CHRISTIAN CENTRE, IBADAN
WORKER’S TRAINING MANUAL
WORKER’S ORIENTATION PROGRAMME
UNDERSTANDING THE PURPOSE OF THE CHURCH (Pro.16v22: Acts2v42-47).
Why does a church exist? What does God intend to achieve by setting up a church? These are the questions we intend to answer in this training by his grace. The church is a powerful Organism/Organization and we need to know why the church exists.
Understanding the Purpose of a thing will:
– Prevent its abuse
– Help someone to Know the things the Creator wants to achieve
– Help someone to play their roles/responsibilities properly.
Purpose – The reason for which something is done or created or for which something exists.
A. TRUTHS ABOUT THE PURPOSE OF THE CHURCH
1. There are five purposes of the church. A purpose-driven church should be committed to fulfilling all these 5 tasks that Christ ordained for his church (Matt.22v37-40:28v19-20: Acts2v42-47).
2. Most churches are either strong on one or some of the purposes instead of being strong on all five purposes.
3. The church has to be intentional and committed to fulfilling these five purposes if it’s going to be successful and strong.
B. UNDERSTANDING THIS FIVE (5) PURPOSES:
1. We are a Worship-minded church (focused on bringing glory to or magnifying his name) Acts2v46-47: Matt.22v37-38: Exo.20v3: Matt.4v10: Isa.43v21: 1Pet.2v9.
2. We are a Service-minded church (focused on equipping/training people to do the work of the Ministry) Acts2v45: Eph.4v12:2v10: 1Pet.4v10: 1Cor.15v58.
3. We are an Outreach-minded church (focused on bringing other people into the Family of God) Acts2v47: Matt.28v19-20: Mk.16v15: Acts1v8: 2Cor.5v17-20.
4. We are a Fellowship-minded church (focused on building our relationship with
Christ and one another) Acts2v40, 46: 1Pet.1v13: Eph.2v19:3v15.
5. We are a Discipleship-minded church (focused on we becoming models of his
character) Acts2v42: Matt.4v19: Acts4v13: 1Pet.2v21: Matt.10v24-25: 1Tim.4v12.
The church exists to exalt (My Worship), equip (My Work), evangelize (My Witness), encourage (My Relationship), and edify (My Walk). Acts2v42-47.
Therefore the church provides:
– A force for Living (Worship), a function for Living (Ministry), A Focus for Living
(Outreach), A Family for Living (Fellowship) and A Foundation for Living
The primary goal of these purposes are as follows:
• Worship (Magnify), Service (Ministry), Outreach (Mission), Fellowship
(Membership) and Discipleship (Maturity).
God’s goals for every believer is as follows:
• To be a magnifier of his name Ps.34v3 (Worship)
• To be a minister of his grace Eph.4v7 (Service)
• To be a messenger of his Love 2Cor.5v18-20 (Outreach)
• To be a member of his Family Eph.1v10 (Fellowship)
• To be a model of his character 1Pet.2v21 ( Discipleship)
IMPORTANCE OF THIS PURPOSE(S)
It will make our church to be balanced, healthy, and eventually Grow and Flourish (1Cor.3v6-7: Acts2v42-47).